Saturday, March 14, 2009

Three Cheers!

We are SO pleased with Ollie's progress. He had two chest x-rays overnight and both look great. He was weaned off of the bipap around 10-ish this morning. Once bipap was off, his pacifier went in! He was such a happy fellow to have his paci back. =) He's also been getting g-tube feedings since about 9am. Right now it's being done pretty slowly - just 5mL per hour. But it's still a big step.

Oliver has kept his oxygen saturations up since getting off of the bipap. If he keeps progressing this well, he'll likely get a regular room sometime this afternoon. Yay!

We've been fortunate to have good doctors, respiratory therapists, nurses, etc. Our main nurses have been Amy and Melissa. They have done a great job looking after our Ollie and looking after us, too. They even pulled a reclining chair beside Ollie's bed so that I could snooze a bit during the night. I probably managed about 3 or 4 hours of sleep last night plus an hour "nap" in the cafeteria this morning. Yes, I said the cafeteria. During rounds, patients aren't allowed any visitors. So I headed to the cafeteria around 8am for breakfast. I found a booth to eat in and it was situated where I could lean against a wall, prop my legs and feet on the bench, rest my head on the seat back, and snooze. Do you think I might have been a wee bit tired?

I leave you with two Swedish proverbs that we have found to be quite true:
"Shared joy is a double joy; shared sorrow is half a sorrow."
and
"Friendship doubles our joy and divides our grief."
Thank you all so very much for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.

4 comments:

  1. That is fantastic news! Glad to hear that he is doing so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bekka - Please get some rest and don't make yourself sick! I'm so happy Ollie is progressing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy that things are going well. I love you guys and you have been in my thoughts,prayers and well wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea!! Ollie! I am glad to hear that things are going well! Yes, thank goodness for portable DVD players! I hope you get some rest! You are in my prayers and thoughts! God Bless You! Durenda

    ReplyDelete