Monday, March 9, 2009

Case Manager

Hooray! I finally managed to get a case manager assigned to Oliver!

When we got Ollie's diagnosis at Duke in November of 2008, we spoke with a social worker at Lenox-Baker who recommended that we get a case manager at our insurance company to help sort through everything related to Oliver's care. A week or two later, I called the number on the back of my insurance card. When I asked for a case manager, the rep I spoke with told me I'd need a doctor's referral to get one.

Overwhelmed with all the changes in our lives, I put the case manager at the back of my mind. But with Ollie's upcoming surgery, I thought about it again. So I called the pediatrician. (Have I mentioned how marvelous she has been?) She called the insurance company. The rep she spoke to said that I needed to make the request.

So, annoyed but not surprised, I called the insurance company again. This time I was transferred a couple of times but did make it to the "correct" person. And today the phone rang and the magical case manager has been assigned!

She will work with us to get everything we need for Ollie. I've already spent 45 minutes educating her about SMA. =) As soon as Oliver is admitted to the hospital, she will arrange for us to get a "complex case manager."

Hopefully, once I educate both case managers, it won't be as difficult to get approvals for all of Oliver's needs. Plus, I'll only have to deal with the one or two people at the insurance company. I have a phone number that dials our case manager here in North Carolina and the extension that rings the phone at her desk. I feel like I'm on the inside now!

A small victory is mine!

5 comments:

  1. HOOOORAYYYYY!! Small victories indeed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, that's awesome. I didn't even know they had case managers at insurance companies!! Glad you have a read person to work with now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only do we have a real person, but the real person is LOCAL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just discovered your blog today. We have a daughter with Battens (progressive and fatal brain disorder) and she has a g-tube. Best thing we ever did. We did not do the Nissen and have dealt with the reflux with meds and a feeding pump. The pump is actually easy to use and portable. You may already be aware of the pump option, and I don't want to muddy the water a day before surgery. You can check out our blog at smoaksignal.com and on there we have a blog called uncommon needs that talks about the pump. We will keep you all in our prayers this coming week.

    ReplyDelete