Sunday, March 1, 2009

Pre-Op Appointment

Well, we have a pre-op appointment on Tuesday at 11:15. I spoke with the pediatric surgeon's scheduling nurse, Marisol, on Friday. She was very nice and took a lot of time to answer my questions. And her answers were reassuring.

The surgeon usually does an open surgery for the Nissen. Marisol said that he often will try to start it laparoscopically but usually ends up doing the open procedure. Especially on a little fellow like Ollie, it's a bit easier to do the open surgery. Fortunately, the hospital stay with the open procedure is normally only 3 to 5 days. I know, I know..."only 3 to 5 days" isn't really a short period of time. But it is so much better than the 1 to 2 week estimate we had gotten from the pulmonologist.

I asked Marisol why a Nissen has become a standard procedure with a G-tube. She said to think of how it feels when you gulp down 20 ounces of water in just a few seconds. You feel really full and somewhat nauseous. When you get a bolus feed, it can feel much the same way. So the Nissen is done to make sure there is no reflux or vomiting that could be aspirated and cause aspiration pneumonia.

I've also chatted with a couple more moms of SMA babies. And they've all reiterated that the G-tube surgery was the best medical decision they made. (Again, a few said they wished that they had done it sooner.)

So, we're doing the pre-op on Tuesday and then we'll likely schedule the G-tube and Nissen surgery. I'm hoping to get all the doctors together - in person or via teleconference - to discuss the special issues related to anesthesia and surgery when a child has SMA.

Please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like it will be a good thing for Ollie - I know it has to be so hard to make these decisions. I'm praying for you many times each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts, and those of my family, are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ollie is such a fantastic little guy, and you and Neil are doing a great job making these tough decisions. Brett and I are sending you all some good warm thoughts. :-)

    Love
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such hard, hard decisions, but you face them with so much grace, strength and love. Ollie could not ask for better parents, or better care. Sending you love and wishing you continued fortitude,

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keeping you and Ollie in my prayers. He is so lucky to have parents that are showing him so much love and care. He can't say it in words but his beautiful eyes say so much, appreciation and overwhelming love for you both, Neil and Bekka. How awesome to have these special moments with him. God Bless you, my heart and soul are overwhelmed and I continue to hope the very best for you all as you embark on this next very important step.

    Durenda and family

    ReplyDelete