Saturday, May 8, 2010

Isaak and his Not so Great but Not so Bad Day + Holding Penny

Today was a tough one for little Isaak. Last night they had discussed the possibility of switching him from bubble CPAP to SiPAP due to his recurring bradycardia and occasional apnea. This morning they made the switch. SiPAP differs from CPAP in that it actually provides "breaths" if they don't breathe themselves. If they are breathing OK, it acts like CPAP but if they need the assistance, it will pulse a set number of times per minute. CPAP simply provides constant pressure to keep their airways open and lungs inflated.

One positive: it appears that some of his issues might be caused by secretions. Twice, they suctioned out some pretty nasty stuff and he immediately began breathing and behaving better. We are well familiar with the impact of secretions thanks to our time with Ollie. We really hope that more frequent suctioning will help Isaak out. He had a fantastic late evening while we were visiting - let's hope it continues through the night.

In other news, Penny has been rock steady and I was even able to hold her this evening! Pictures will be forthcoming but let it suffice to say that it was incredible! She is just a little snuggle-bunny, so warm and soft. Feeling her little heart beat away in her chest is one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced.

Bekka's mom went home today. She was a big help during the week and we are so glad that she was able to meet her new grandchildren. We'll miss her.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Neil....I just felt like I needed to check the blog one last time before heading to bed. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes and trying to type. Reading your description of how it felt to hold your precious daughter, Penny, reminded me of why I love you so very much. What a son you have been. Watching you grow from a tiny baby to seeing you as a grown man with a wonderful wife and family, has been a joy. My heart has rejoiced when you have rejoiced and my heart has ached whenever I saw you hurting. Thank you for being such an awesome son, brother, husband and father. I love you son.... Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Thanks Mom. I don't even know what to say but I love you too. You helped make me who I am, so thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a day to celebrate parenthood and it seems the perfect time to congratulate Penny and Isaak on being born to the two most incredible, giving, competent, wise, loving parents I know. Very smart and lucky kids, those two! But I'd expect no less from little Mastins! Congratulations to all four of you! Knowing there are surely ups and downs ahead, here's wishing you many, many more ups and countless moments of amazement!

    ReplyDelete