Thursday, May 20, 2010

(Hopefully) No Surgery for Isaak

So, Isaak's transfer to UNC was pretty painless.  That's not to say that it is easy having Isaak at UNC and Penny at WakeMed.  Or that it's easy to see Isaak so sick.  It is most definitely *not* easy.

Isaak's x-rays have not shown any changes.  Nothing has worsened, but nothing has improved either. His bloodwork and clinical symptoms point to NEC, or "neck" in medical parlance for Necrotizing Enterocolitis.  Sadly, Isaak certainly had a lot of the risk factors for NEC.  And this is not the diagnosis we wanted.  It is very serious and they will be closely monitoring him.  X-rays and bloodwork will be done every 6 hours (at 2am, 8am, 2pm and 8pm).

Right now, since he does not have a bowel perforation, he will not be having surgery.  However, he will be examined by the surgical staff in the event he does need surgery.  The plan, though, is to treat him with antibiotics and continue the "watchful waiting" that we have become so good at.  (Not that we ever wanted to be this good at it.  Sigh.)
 
The doctor placed an arterial line shortly after Isaak arrived so that they can monitor his blood pressure in "real-time" and so they don't have to stick him every 6 hours for blood.  And since he'll be having lots of blood drawn for bloodwork, we anticipate more blood transfusions.  Again, this is fairly normal and expected with sick preemies.


Neil and I both noted today that the poor little guy is more lethargic than he was yesterday.  We can tell that he's tired and just plain wiped out.  He's letting the vent do most of the work for him.  Only occasionally does he actually breathe "over" the vent - taking more than the 30 or 40 breaths per minute that the vent is giving him.

Isaak's little belly is taut and shiny and reddish.  It looks uncomfortable.  We both commented today that he reminds us of Ollie right now.  Because his tummy is so distended, his chest and abdomen have that bell shape that became so familiar.  And his hair has that same reddish-blonde hue as his big brother's.

Talking about those similarities today brought tears to my eyes.  I think this is the first time since I was admitted to the hospital in early April that I have let my emotions have the better of me.  It won't likely be the last.

I never would have expected that all three of my children - my two sons and my daughter - would have to fight so hard to live and breathe.

Please keep praying for Isaak and Penny.

6 comments:

  1. Beefing up the prayers and sending big hugs to you both. No, it doesn't seem possible that after your SMA assignment, you have a double whammy... and it's not even SMA-related (not that that would be preferred). I can't imagine the emotional turmoil you're in, especially with your sweet little ones in separate places.

    Please know that you are in the prayers of many more than you know....

    'Lucy'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colleen McCarthy O'TooleMay 21, 2010 at 8:02 AM

    Sending you huge hugs and many prayers Rebekka and Neil!
    Colleen McCarthy O'Toole

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one thing I know about Mastins is that they are incredible fighters, with more heart and spirit and courage and resilience than many people even dream of. I am pulling for all of you, and hoping Isaak is marshalling his reserves and fighting his internal battles. I so wish I could be there to give you a hug! Thank you for these updates, as difficult as they must be. I send you love and hope and energy for the fight ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bekka, dear - it's okay to lose your shit - probably a good thing too ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just praying for you, These little people are MASTINS...they can fight a fight...and so can you. It is perfectly ok to cry and let go. You have been stronger then anyone i have ever known trust me. I continue to share with all i know that through all your trials and tribulations i have become stronger in my faith to trust in HIM. He promises us Peace. I pray that God will continue to give you peace in your heart as you continue to trust in Him at these hard times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a strong family you are, and what a tremendous amount you have been faced with. Thinking of you all and sending out the very best thoughts and prayers for all of you.
    (I came over from Julia's blog.)

    ReplyDelete