Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Twins, Hospitals and Amniotic Sacs

A business trip took me away from home last Tuesday (4/6). I was a little worried about leaving 5 month pregnant Bekka and the little guys in her belly alone for 3 days, but everything looked great! She'd had a 20 week ultrasound that indicated the babies were healthy and growing and generally just frolicking away their time in the womb. On 4/5, she'd been to the OB and everything was looking solid. So I went to Dallas without much worry at all.

The workshop was very productive and enjoyable, but on the way back, things began to get complicated. Storms in Atlanta (how I hate that airport) were backing up all flights and my flight out of DFW didn't leave for 2 hours and only after 3 gate changes. The only good news was that my flight to Raleigh was equally delayed because the same crew was flying us home. After 3 more gate changes, we finally boarded. I'd turned my phone off around 12:30am (this would be early Friday morning at this point) as we were preparing to pull away when it suddenly rang (HOW?). It was Dave trying to reach me. I thought he might just be razzing me for being so late, but after 3 tries to connect, we finally did and Bekka was immediately on the phone.

Dave was at my house.
Bekka sounded calm but scared.
This isn't good.

And it wasn't.

While going to the bathroom that night, Bekka noticed an unusual amount of blood. All women get a bit of spotting here and there during pregnancy but this was more than that. Further, there was something protruding that "felt and looked like a bouncy ball." She knew immediately it was her amniotic sac and went to lie down. She called the OB, EMS and Dave. Because our OB works out of Cary, Bekka had the EMS take her to WakeMed Cary.

While waiting for the EMS to arrive, she had Dave call me. So I'm stuck in a tin can at the crappiest airport in America, my wife might be losing her pregnancy and I know it's going to be 2 or 3 hours before I can see her.

I do not recommend this.

I finally made it to the hospital at about 3:30am. Bekka was resting (somewhat) comfortably with her feet higher than her head. I now know this is the Trendelenberg Position. At this point, it did not appear that the amniotic sac had ruptured, but it was still protruding from the cervix when she was examined. This was in a effort to get the amniotic sac to withdraw on it's own back into the uterus.

Thus began our up and down saga of the last few days.

Much of this has been posted on Facebook and via email, so some of you know what is going on, but suffice it to say that a risky but non-optional emergency cerclage was required on Sunday morning, as she was about 7cm dilated. The operation involved using a balloon catheter to push the amniotic sac back into the cervix and slowly, incrementally stitching it closed. Bekka has slowly improved over the last day and a half after experiencing pulmonary edema after surgery. Leakage of fluid also seems to have slowed greatly.

The little girl lost a lot of fluid from her amniotic sac (it is guessed through a leak high on the amniotic sac as the doctor could not see an obvious rupture). The little boy's amniotic sac appears to be intact and full. Both of them have maintained strong heartbeats and we hope that the little girl's sac will heal and refill as amniotic fluid is critical for lung development in tiny babies.

Right now the biggest risks are the onset of premature labor (Bekka is receiving meds to slow/prevent this) and infection. With a ruptured sac and the protrusion into the outside world, contamination is a great danger and any infection can spread from baby to baby and to the mother. She is on two types of antibiotics to fight the infection danger.

24 weeks of gestation is considered the cutoff for preterm survival with a reasonable chance of avoiding brain damage and major physical handicaps. The babies will be 23 weeks tomorrow (4/13). We will be trying to get transferred to a hospital with a full Level 3/Level 4 NICU at the end of this week. Such a facility offers the best chance of healthy survival in case she delivers. In this area, that is WakeMed (main hospital), Duke and UNC. Obviously, the best case is that everyone does fantastically well and we can get way beyond 24 weeks. Full term delivery is very very unlikely, but getting anywhere near 30 greatly increases survival chances and infant health.

So:
Emergency Cerclage
Low fluid level in the little girl's sac
Normal fluid level in the boy's amniotic sac
Currently stable and holding
High risk of infection
High risk of early labor

Thank you all for the prayers and love that have come our way. We never imagined we'd have to call on our community of family and friends so soon and certainly did not want it to be in this way.

Stay tuned here for postings as things progress. We are not in a good place, but given the situation, it's as good as it could be.

6 comments:

  1. You all are in my prayers always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending big hugs and prayers from the mountains for an uneventful remainder of the pregnancy!!!

    These two are obviously in a hurry to meet you. Sounds like perhaps Ollie's been raving about the family to his tiny siblings a bit too much :)

    Helen/'Lucy'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping you all in our thoughts and hoping that the situation stabilizes and turns around as quickly as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well them little people want to see you now, they are in a hurry to be held in your arms for lots of love and kisses. Praying for Bekka and the babies and the entire family God Bless you all. Neil you Bekka and Ollie have been such an inspiration of FAITH to me. May God continue to give you both the strength daily as HE has always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs and prayers for your family. I too am going through this, except I am only 16 weeks with twins. In a way you two are lucky that you have made it this far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG...I am so shocked to find out that this has happened to other people besides me. Except,I was pregnant with one child (boy) and had dialated to 4 cm when I got to the doctor that day. I was only 16 weeks so they considered him to not be viable. Although his heartbeat was strong and steady. They had me lay back overnight to see if the bag would go back up. It did not. No cerclage was put in and they told me that there was a great potential for infection due to the location of the bag. They gave meds to induce labor. I gave birth to Khristian the next night at 9:20 pm after they made me push. He did not survive delivery and came out in the sac which never ruptured. I buried him this past Tuesday. The cerclage will be used "next time". I miss my little prince.

    ReplyDelete