Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Overnight Scare

Why oh why does it always happen at night?

In the wee hours of the morning, I became aware of our nurse in the room. I thought she was just checking Bekka's vitals but it soon became apparent something more urgent was going on: Bekka had called her because she had started bleeding again.

Next thing you know, the lights were full on, our room was full of doctors and nurses and someone was contacting anesthesiology. For 10 minutes it really looked like we were about to deliver babies. The attending physician was remarkably cool under pressure and had them monitoring the babies in no time at all. It appeared that all was well in babyland AND there were no contractions so she decided on observation.

Thus, we have fallen back into our "watch, monitor and wait" phase but with a touch more anxiety. I think last night showed just how fast this thing could happen. Somehow, they have managed to keep heart rate monitors on both babies and everything remains OK. Bekka is sleeping peacefully across the room and according to last check the bleeding is slowing again - not stopped but is slowing down substantially. She is in the Trendelenberg Position, but a very slight one and seems to be handling it fine.

What does this mean? We don't know. As I mentioned in the big post last night, there are many factors in this equation. It's possible she'll be in the operating room this afternoon or it's possible she'll do this for days or weeks. My guess is somewhere in between. In the meantime, they'll be keeping her off food and drink in case of an emergency c-section. 12:35pm will be 48 hours since the first steroid dose, so there is that!

Speaking of c-section, I don't think I'd previously mentioned that it's likely to be a "classical" c-section (vertical incision) as they have to get the preterm babies out as quickly as possible and it provides faster and better access.

So here we are. Another day, another crisis but still (in the case of Penny and Isaak) kicking.

3 comments:

  1. What a frightening roller-coaster ride! I'm so glad, at least, that the ride is still on-going and that Bekka and the babies are still - so far as we can tell - doing well. I keep hoping and praying that can go on for as long as possible. At the same time, the thought of being upside down and not eating or drinking sounds really miserable (on top of the more general misery that all this anxiety can't help but induce for you both). I just wish I could take on some of this burden for you! Thank you for taking the time to write these updates, Neil, and keep us all in the loop. Please know how much you are loved and supported!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second everything Erin says! I am sooo hoping those babies stay cuddled inside for a bit longer :) Thanks for keeping all of us who are praying for you up to speed. Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys it's Molly from SMA Space and emails. Mom to SMA angel June! I had no idea all this was going on and I will absolutely be praying for you guys! I haven't actually read all that is going on because I wanted to send you this note really quick to let you know that I am praying for you RIGHT NOW!!
    If there is anything I can do (from Colorado) or have my NC family do please don't hesitate to let me know!
    Hugs and love from us,
    Molly

    ReplyDelete