Sunday, April 18, 2010

At WakeMed Raleigh - 4-18-2010 Update

Good news: We are at WakeMed

Bad news: We now have a better idea of the type of situation we are in. It's pretty scary.

Having met with the attending and resident physicians we know it's pretty remarkable we are here based on what's happened the last week and a half. We are going to have a tough road ahead. They are stopping all antibiotics once the treatment course is done (to avoid creating super bugs in Bekka) and ceasing all tocolytics (anti-contraction meds). Apparently, Bekka has already had more courses of more types of tocolytics than is normal. They may give her another round if she begins having contractions so they can give her two steroid shots. The steroids are absolutely critical for lung development in preterm babies and are most effective if delivery is delayed at least 48 hours after the first shot. This would mean trying to wait until at least 12:35 on Tuesday (4/20) to deliver.

Ideally, Bekka just hangs on and doesn't deliver for a while AND there are no infections. That's the big if right now. Theoretically, they could delay labor indefinitely, but because she experienced a ruptured membrane (PPROM), infection is a great risk to both mother and babies. Sepsis is a very real concern so doctors have to maintain a balance between keeping the babies in utero and avoiding infection.

So now we wait some more and pray some more. It seems very unlikely based on all the new information that we will be able to hold off delivery until 30 weeks. Even if Bekka does not go into labor, it's likely we will not be able to wait due to the infection risk.

It wasn't supposed to be this hard. Not after what we went through with Ollie. Unfortunately, chance is a cruel foe.

3 comments:

  1. This is definitely scary, scary stuff - and not what you, or any of us, were hoping to hear. It is definitely not supposed to be this hard; you guys have faced tougher decisions than most people have to make, and should have filled your quota and then some! We are so thinking of all of you, praying that you remain safe, hoping for unexpected silver linings. Sending you our love and fervent wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. You don't know me, but I linked to you here via Lucy & Ethel. I just wanted to offer my moral support--my situation is the opposite of yours: my oldest is 6 years old and "normal", and my two year old twins have SMA. My pregnancy was not an easy one (only preterm labor, no PPROM here), but I spent plenty of scary days in the hospital and I wanted to offer my moral support.

    I can't find the perfect blog post of mine to post here for you to "meet" me (I didn't blog back when I was pregnant), but this could be a start if you're bored and have an internet connection. http://bahamasbahamasbahamas.blogspot.com/2009/10/what-difference-year-makes.html

    Also, if you have a laptop in the hospital with connectivity, look into Word Twist games on Facebook. It's a genius way to spend bored hours.

    Hang in there, Bekka!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying God's peace for you all....God these parents need a miracle. You are well able to show mercy and I ask that you do so for all concerned.

    ReplyDelete