Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Radio Interview

After Oliver was diagnosed with SMA, we quickly learned about being his advocate. And we are still advocates. Tomorrow I have a big opportunity as an advocate.

A radio station in Goldsboro, NC, has chosen Spinal Muscular Atrophy as its focus for its Broadcasting Hope campaign. Each Thursday they have educated their listeners about SMA. Last Thursday, they interviewed two fathers. (Mark's son, John, has Type III. Jeremy's son, Logan, has Type I.)

Tomorrow, they will interview me.

I'm excited and nervous, sure, but mostly...I'm honored. Honored that I can share my experience. Honored that I can share my Ollie.

Hopefully, lots of listeners will hear about SMA, about carrier rates and testing, about the Treatment Acceleration Act, and about contacting their Senators and Representative. Maybe some of them will actually call the Capitol Hill Switchboard and speak with an aide in the office of their Congressman or Congresswoman. Perhaps another Legislator will be swayed to co-sponsor the bill. And, if we're really lucky, the bill will become law.

I wish I could give you all access to listen to the interview tomorrow at 7AM (Eastern). But I haven't found any streaming audio or webcast of the radio's morning show. If I can find a way to upload the interview on the blog, I promise I will.

1 comment:

  1. I just read about the act and have sent letters to our Senators and Representative.
    Good luck!!!
    Mary Arnold

    ReplyDelete