Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Ollie's Biography and Celebration of His Life

Yesterday still seems unreal. This morning we woke and I suppose hoped it was all an incredibly bad dream. Unfortunately, it was all too real. Ollie's gone but we will ALWAYS have our memories and his smile.

Today, we met with the wonderful people at the Cremation Society of the Carolinas to make plans for Oliver's service.

You can read the biography we put together on their site.

The Celebration of Oliver's Life will be held at 12Noon on Friday, August 7, 2009 at Shady Wagon Farm in New Hill, NC. It's a beautiful outdoor site with a pond and ducks and is the sort of place that would have given Oliver lots to look at and smile about.

2312 Pea Ridge Rd
New Hill, NC 27562-8940
(919) 542-7172
http://www.shadywagonfarm.com

Click here to bring up Google Maps and enter your own address for directions.

EDIT: A few folks have looked for basic guidance on getting there. From Raleigh and points east, you can take US 1 South towards Sanford. Take Exit 81 (Pea Ridge Rd) and make a right. The farm is just a couple of miles down the road.

From Greensboro and parts west, take US 421 South out of Greensboro toward Siler City and pick up US 64 East towards Pittsboro. Take a right on Beaver Creek Rd, drive for about 3 miles then take a right onto Pea Ridge Rd and drive for another 3 miles to the farm.

(Raleigh/East folks can also take US 64, just making a left on Beaver Creek - it's supposed to be a bit more scenic if longer).

This event is open for any who want to come with the only limitation being actual room at the site.

Please note, since this is intended to be a celebration and will also take place at least partially outdoors, dress appropriately. Casual or business casual attire will be fine. We don't expect suits and dresses (but they are fine if you must). Ollie was most comfortable half naked in a diaper, he wasn't down with fancy clothes. ;-)

There will be a potluck dinner after the service. If you wish to stay, please bring your favorite dish.

15 comments:

  1. Bekka and Neil.

    Ollie was such a light is our lives. His beautiful, thick hair and smile will forever be etched in our memories.

    As parents, you have shown us what unconditional love and support looks like.

    Love,
    Matthew, Kimberly and Nicholas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Guys,

    After explaining yesterday to Ellie, she can't stop going on about how cute Ollie was, and how sad the situation is. He's even left a mark on my 6-year-old. The two of you impress the heck out of me. Your strength is unimaginable (not to mention that I can't imagine having the nerve to get a tattoo!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you. I'm so very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog from a beautiful post by Flotsam.com ... and I just wanted to take some time to say I am sorry for your loss and thinking of your family during this diffucult time! Sending prayers all the way from Cali.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here from Flotsam -- I'm so incredibly sorry for the loss of sweet Ollie. The pictures of him really belong with another ending entirely. Holding you all my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for your loss. The photos of Ollie are so lovely. He looks like he was such a bright light.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I followed a link from Flotsam...

    What a beautiful boy he was. I am deeply sorry for your loss and you and he will be in my thoughts.

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am s incredibly sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am just so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bekka and Neil-

    I'm so very sorry for your loss. It was such a joy to take care of Ollie and get to know him as well as your family. I will always remember his curly blonde hair, his beautiful smile and his expressive blue eyes. I wish I could make it to his memorial, but I will be there in spirit. I will keep you all in my prayers. Thank you for being such wonderful parents to Ollie. He led a wonderful, happy life because of you.

    -Nurse Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Neil & Rebekka,
    We are so truly sorry for your loss and that we will not be able to make it to Ollie's celebration on Friday. Please know that you are and will remain in our thoughts and prayers. We will be lighting our candles in honor of Ollie this Saturday.
    -Tom & Johanna Elsner

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am visiting your site after seeing Ollie's notice in the N&O this morning. I am so very sorry for your loss. I live in Cary and my son has Type II SMA. Thank you for your efforts to educate the public while honoring the memory of your beautiful baby. God bless you both.

    Cindy Schaefer

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cindy Schaefer (good friend, fellow SMA mom, and blogging partner), told me this morning about the notice in the paper. I came back here and read about the celebration. It sounds like something Ollie would have chosen for himself :)

    Many hugs and prayers for a day that is as perfect as it can be.

    And be looking for Ollie signs :)

    Helen Baldwin, another mom of an SMA angel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here from Flostam. Sending love and support your way on this difficult day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I came from Flotsam, too, with tears in my eyes after seeing the beautiful pictures of your smiling son. I'm so sorry he's gone.

    ReplyDelete