Tuesday, June 2, 2009

For Ollie's New Friend - Mackinley

Late last month, our neurologist, Dr. Smith, put us in touch with a local family whose son, Mackinley, had just been diagnosed with Type I SMA. He turned 4 months old on Sunday. And, on Friday, when Ollie was at WakeMed ER, Mack was at Duke's ER.

Mackinley has been admitted and is being monitored by the same doctors that Oliver sees - Dr. Kravitz (pulmonologist) and Dr. Smith. Mack will even have his g-tube surgery done by Dr. Rice, the same surgeon that did Ollie's surgery. His surgery date was moved up to next week from late June .

Neil and I feel for Mack and his parents and all of his family. These are tough decisions to make. So, please, pray for Mackinley as you have for Oliver.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rebekka, Neil, and Ollie,
    I am Mackinley's grandmother and I have been visiting your website this morning since talking with April. I want to thank you for your compassion and support to our family during these tough days. It means so much to April and Brian to be able to lean on and identify with others who have traveled the SMA journey. I could hear in April's voice this morning that she had found a kindred spirit to share her pain and fears. I know that Brian, April, and Mackinley will be so glad to meet you all in person. And as you know, grandmothers have "partial eyesight" only--they think their own grandchildren are the most beautiful and intelligent in the world. But I can honestly say after checking out Ollie's photos, that he is one of the most handsome young men I've seen and I hope I too can meet him. We will keep you and Ollie in our prayers and join with you in the fight against SMA.
    Catherine Brittain

    ReplyDelete